Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Running in Heels falls flat

Anything can be a reality show, even a few 20-somethings interning at Marie Claire magazine. The previews for this show on the Style network looked good and I was excited to watch it. After about 10 minutes into the first episode I realized that the three interns are boring, jealous-ridden, monotone, ungrateful girls who don’t have an ounce of ambition in their bodies.

These girls are jealous of every task the other girl gets and they are determined to undermine the next girl by snippy comments and backstabbing. Give me a break. Shouldn’t the girls worry about themselves more? If they were a bit less jealous of the next girl, they would be happier. For example, one girl was asked to help at a red carpet event while the other two interns had to do regular jobs. The two girls moaned and groaned for the whole half hour about how they should have been the ones to do the red carpet task. Get over it. Obviously there was a reason those two girls were not picked to do the red carpet task. Instead of ranting and raving about how one girl gets all the good tasks, they should just work harder to get the tasks they want.

The three interns have such boring personalities it makes me want to cry. For example, one girl was given the task of helping a prominent editor at Marie Claire with her wedding. She wanted to impress this editor (so she said) but she never smiled, was never personable and never showed an ounce of emotion. Hello?!?!?! I just want to scream in her face, ‘get a personality!’ Ugh.

Ambition is another thing these three interns could use a really big dose of. How they landed an internship at Marie Clair baffles me. They are never excited to start a new task. In fact, all three interns waited until hours before a magazine spread was due to start working on it. Sorry girls. Life is not going to be handed to you on a silver platter. You might have to actually work for something. Gasp.

I thought Running in Heels would be a fun show to watch, especially being a journalism student interning this summer. I thought this show would give me insights about working at a magazine. Instead, I have been caught up with the interns and their dull personalities. I hope I don’t have to be like them to get to the top.

2 comments:

  1. Eew, I can't stand girls (or shows) like that. Good luck at your internship, I'm sure your positive attitude will get you further than a reality television gig.

    ReplyDelete